Saturday, September 1, 2007

Rachel's "Little Sis" Beth Visits Chicago



Beth, Rachel's little sister from Delta Zeta, came to visit us in Chicago during the last weekend in August. She lives in Shreveport, LA with her husband, JR and their 6-pound fighting dog, Bruiser. I had not seen Beth since our wedding almost 4 years ago, and it had been about 2 years since Rachel had seen her.

Beth and I fought traffic, after I picked her up from O'Hare on Friday afternoon and met Rachel downtown. They went to the Art Institute of Chicago, while I studied for finals, and then we met for dinner at The Grand Lux Cafe (any of our blog-readers who have visited us in Chicago will be well-familiar with this restaurant; I should hit them up for a blog sponsorship).

Saturday, we took the train to the city and had the customary Chicago-style pizza lunch at Giordano's (another potential sponsor target) and hit Michigan Avenue for 5 hours of shopping...



Rather than describing shopping on Michigan Avenue, I have decided to take you off the beaten path a bit (following the lead of my blogging idol Reed Stephenson) and reveal to you my guy's list of favorite places to visit while shopping on Michigan Avenue. #5 - Cleanest bathrooms - 3rd floor of the Nordstrom Mall on Michigan Avenue. They have family style restrooms, such as the one pictured, where the little buck-a-roo can stand alongside his old man and whizz away. #4 - Niketown - 3 floors of sports apparel. It is spectacular. #3 - The Apple Store - Laddy will kill me for not putting this as #1, and I must agree with him, that it is the best store on Michigan Avenue. Two floors of IPods, Mac's, AppleTV and every other gadget you can think of. The employees are brain-washed hippies who truly love what they are doing and would probably do it for free. #2 - LegoLand - it may sound childish, but there is nothing cooler than a 7-foot tall Lego Darth Vader, even to a 30-year old. #1 - Timothy O'Tooles - relax, catch a tasty beverage and watch sports on one of their MANY televisions, while the girls shop away (located at the corner of Fairbanks and Ontario). Bring your Kellogg student ID and get a 10% discount.

After all of that shopping, we grilled out at home.



Sunday, I dropped Rachel and Beth off at Lincoln Park Zoo. It was so crowded that I could not find parking, so I went back to park at the Northwestern Garage near Navy Pier. After touring the zoo, Rachel and Beth hiked from Lincoln Park Zoo to Navy Pier (for those who have visited Chicago, I estimate that is about 4 miles). We ended the evening with an architectural boat tour of the Chicago River. If you ever visit Chicago, this is a "Can't Miss".



1 comment:

Mark said...

Great post especially the top 5. Who knew there were famliy bathrooms?