Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Mayfest in Chicago

There is a new Australia blog below this one if interested. No need for wise cracks if you are not.



The Friday after Memorial Day, Rachel and I flew to Chicago for the weekend to catch up with old friends and to attend our 4th annual Mayfest in Lincoln Square.

Rachel headed out early Friday afternoon in order to get her CPR recertification from her friend Kelly's mom, who works for the police department and is an EMT. After work, I went to the airport and caught my flight (of course it was delayed by over an hour). Friday night, we spent the night with Kelly and Dave. We had a really good time catching up with them and Sheralee. Dave's friend Brent was there, too. He is a good guy, who we have hung out with several times.

Saturday, we headed up to Sheralee's apartment, cleaned up and went to Timothy O'Toole's for lunch. From O'Toole's we headed to Mayfest, where we spent the afternoon and early evening enjoying German food and music with Sheralee, Kelly and Rachel's friend, Danielle. We also got to hang out briefly with Justin (the guy who replaced me in Kankakee) and Emily. Unfortunatley, we had to head back to the city and didn't get to spend as much time with them as we would have liked.

Rachel got to spend Sunday shopping with Sheralee on Michigan Avenue, while I flew to Charlotte first thing Sunday morning for work meetings on Sunday afternoon.

REFLECTIONS - TOP MEALS DURING AMERICAN COATINGS SHOW IN CHARLOTTE



Last week, I attended the first American Coatings Show in Charlotte. The show was impressive. Rather than boring you with the details of work (however, I have included a picture of the Rohm and Haas Booth), I will list my three favorite meals during the Coatings Show:

3) Bonterra - Cowboy Ribeye (Bone In - 20oz)
Caraway Seed Spaetzle
Grilled Hearts of Romaine
Bleu Cheese Butter...Natural Jus

2) Capital Grille - Kona Crusted Dry Aged Sirloin with Carmelized Shallot Butter
A wonderful flavor combination with caramelized shallots, seasonings and coffee
rub to create a first-class steak many guests claim as their favorite.

The carrot cake was to die for.

And the number 1 meal was:
1) Ruth's Chris - New York Strip Oscar style

The steak was FANTASTIC!!! The service was the best I have ever experienced. My first trip to a Ruth's Chris did not disappoint.

3 comments:

Mark said...

You know Knoxville has a Ruth's Chris now? I'm telling you, it's tough to beat the new Crown and Goose pub - great food and atmosphere. You'll have to try it.

Bill said...

SK-

You should have told me you were going to CLT?! I'm disappointed no one suggested Bubba's BBQ (http://www.bubbasbarbecue.com/). Definitely the best East Carolina BBQ(Pulled Pork/vinegar based) I've ever had. They also have the local flavor that you only find in a place like Howards with out the video rental/dentist option.

Your booth look pretty sweet- kinda like some art you'd see on UTKs campus back in our day.

Will said...

Crown and Goose is Stella, I mean, stellar.

Your post reminded me of the movie Grumpier Old Men when the old guy from Rocky says "I eat bacon for breakfast, I eat bacon for lunch, and I drink my dinner." You do realize that other forms of meat - besides steak - are enjoyable, don't you?

Perhaps you should rename your blog "Beef, It's what's for breakfast, lunch and dinner."